Aizawl: At least two persons, one of them a woman, have been arrested for possessing 64 grams of heroin worth Rs 1.4 lakh, the Excise and Narcotics department said in a statement on Thursday.
Officials of the department conducted a raid at Falkland Veng in the eastern part of Aizawl on Wednesday night and seized 64 grams of heroin smuggled from Myanmar, the statement said.
Two peddlers, identified as Elizabeth Lalthlamuani (38) and Lalhruaitluanga (32), both residents of Champhai town have been arrested for possessing the contraband worth Rs 1.4 lakh, it said.
They were booked under relevant sections of the Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
Meanwhile, the department issued a corrigendum stating that Lalkhawngaiha (41), a resident of Aizawl’s Saron Veng, who was stated to have been arrested for possessing 133 grams of heroin in the official statement issued on Wednesday, was purely a “mistake” due to wrong information and thus the person has no involvement in drug smuggling.
One accused Lalzarliana (45), who claimed to have belonged to Lianpui village in Champhai district as stated in the official statement on Wednesday, was also refuted by leaders of Lianpui village, who declared through a press statement that such person by the name Lalzarliana doesn’t live in the village, the excised department also said in the statement.
- Pakistan: Mob lynches Sri Lankan citizen over blasphemy
- WHO rushes team to S Africa to help combat new variant
- Meghalaya: 12 differently-abled beneficiaries receive assistive devices
- Nagaland: Rengma Nagas to go on hunger strike over demand for district
- Mizoram minister says MNF ‘anointed by God’ to face hard times
- Elephants fall into same pond for second day in Assam’s Goalpara