Aizawl: The ruling Mizo National Front (MNF) will field K. Laldawngliana, head of a state-run public sector undertaking, for the upcoming bypoll to Tuirial assembly seat, which is yet to be announced, a party leader said.
NF adviser and rural development minister Lalruatkima said the meeting of the MNF nomination committee chaired by Chief Minister and MNF president Zoramthanga on Tuesday unanimously approved Laldawngliana, chairman of Mizoram State Cooperative Marketing & Consumers Federation (MIZOFED) Ltd, as the party nominee for the bypoll.
Meanwhile, highly-placed sources in Congress said the party will field former legislator and party leader C. Chalrosanga for the upcoming bypoll. The name will be officially announced very soon, the sources added.
The main opposition Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) is yet to name its candidate. Party sources said that the party nomination committee will sit on Friday to decide on its candidate.
The Tuirial constituency is going to have a bypoll following the death of the incumbent MLA, Andrew H. Thangliana, who passed away on August 17.
In the present 40-member assembly, the ruling MNF has 27 members, ZPM (6), Congress (5) and the BJP has 1.
However, five of the ZPM legislator had contested the state assembly in November 2018 on Independent as the party had not obtained registration before the poll.
- 67th National Film Awards: Here’s a list of winners being awarded
- Won’t hesitate to seek foreign help for relief: PM Deuba on Nepal floods
- Rajinikanth receives Dada Saheb Phalke award
- Kashmiri, UP, Bihar students scuffle at Punjab college after India-Pak match
- After historic high vs India, Pakistan seek revenge on New Zealand
- Meet Manipur’s Sister Christina, who administered 15,000 vaccine doses