Aizawl: The Mizoram Bar Association (MBA) has filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) before the Aizawl Bench of Gauhati High Court regarding the blockade of NH-306 on Tuesday.
After the violence on July 26 at the Assam-Mizoram border which lead to the death of six Assam policemen and one civilian, locals from Assam’s Barak Valley have imposed a blockade on National Highway – 306 which is the lifeline of Mizoram linking the state with Assam and the rest of the country.
MBA President Anil Rinliana Malhotra wrote, “The MBA had submitted a representation before the Central Government, Government of Assam and Government of Mizoram regarding the blockade of the NH-306. However, as no response has been received from the aforementioned, understanding the hardship faced by the people of Mizoram, the MBA has felt it necessary to file a Public Interest Litigation.”
A similar blockade was imposed by the people of Assam for nearly a month from 17 October to 11 November in 2020 in the wake of the border standoff, which had seriously and adversely affected the livelihood of the people of Mizoram. MBA had then also filed a PIL and the said PIL was registered as PR 68 of 2020. However, as the blockade of NH-306 was lifted during the pendency of the PIL 68 of 2020, the Gauhati High Court closed it “by giving a liberty to the MBA to approach the Gauhati High Court again in the event of any future blockade of NH-306.”
- Every rupee in my foundation awaiting its turn to save a life: Sonu Sood
- Assam’s star athlete Amlan Borgohain’s targets CWG, Asian Games next
- NNPGs ‘disturbed’ after Indian intel claims arms procured from Myanmar
- Shillong Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 20
- Tripura sounds African swine flu alert; Kanchanpur farm is epicenter
- Associated Press interview: UN chief warns China, US to avoid Cold War