Mizoram has levelled human rights violation charge against Assam, a Mizoram official said on Sunday, in a clear sign that the border tensions between Mizoram and Assam remain far from being resolved.

Kolasib district deputy commissioner H. Lalthlangliana has written to his Cachar counterpart complaining of human rights violations and atrocities on tribal people by Assam officials and police during a border stand-off on July 10, the official said.

Copies of the letter were also sent to the National Human Rights Commission and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST), he said.

In the letter, a copy of which is available with EastMojo, Lalthlangliana said that road construction was executed on July 10 from Assam without any prior show cause notice where Assam officials backed by police forces mercilessly destroyed crops belonging to Mizo tribe, residents of Phainuam village at Buarchep in the nearby farm.

The villagers, including men and women who gathered to protest were forcefully driven off by armed police personnel from Assam, the DC said in his letter.

“This incident is taken very seriously as it is a clear violation of Human Rights and
also a crime punishable under Section 3(g) of The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 in particular,” the letter reads.

The letter also said that two loud explosions were heard by Mizoram police forces guarding the border at Saihapui ‘V’ village and Buarchep area on the state border with Assam. The incident occurred on July 11 at around 2:40 am, it said.

Despite an intensive search by police to locate the blast site, no evidence or clue could be recovered, it said.

“It, in fact, appeared to have occurred at the vicinity of Saihapui ‘V’ village and Buarchep and is believed to be perpetrated by miscreant(s) from Assam to create chaos and fear among the forces deployed at the border as well as residents of the nearby border villages,” the letter added.

A criminal case under the Explosive Substances Act was registered at Vairengte police station in Mizoram, it added.

Last week, state chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuaungo had also informed the Union Home Ministry that a few farmers of Buarchep village in Mizoram’s Kolasib district were pushed and harassed and their crops destroyed and a new road constructed with excavators by Assam police and officials backed by civilians.

The Mizo farmers put up small barricades to protect their lands and crops, which were pulled down and destroyed by Assam officials, he had said.

On July 12, Mizoram home minister Lalchamliana had demanded compensation from the Assam government for the damages it had caused to the Mizo farmers.

Also Read: Mizoram chief secy accuses Assam of encroachment as border row gets ugly

However, Assam officials had alleged that people from Mizoram have encroached more than 6 km inside Assam and claimed they were evicting the encroachers.

Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had on July 12 informed the state assembly that nearly 1,800 hectares of Assam territory have been encroached by Mizoram.

However, Chuaungo had strongly rebutted the Assam chief minister, claiming not an inch of Assam territory has been encroached by Mizoram.

Also Read: Assam moves court against Mizoram officials for ‘land encroachment’

He had alleged that neighbouring Assam was laying claims on Mizoram territories, which the residents of border villages have been occupying for over 100 years.

“Satellite images will prove that what Assam claims to be its territories have been inhabited by the Mizos for over a century. There is no encroachment by Mizoram on Assam’s territory. It is the other way round,” Chuaungo had said on Friday.

He alleged that Assam officials encroached on Mizoram’s territories under the supervision of the Assam Police and the state’s Forest Department during June-July despite the decision to maintain the status quo in the disputed areas.



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment