The death toll in the Northeastern state also mounted to 35 as an 80-year-old man with comorbidities succumbed to the infection at Zoram Medical College (ZMC) on Friday afternoon, he said.
Of the 283 fresh cases, 175 were detected through Rapid Antigen Test, 102 through RT-PCR test conducted at ZMC and the remaining six cases were detected through TrueNat tests, he said.
Aizawl district reported the highest cases at 230, followed by Lunglei and Serchhip at 16 and 15 cases, respectively.
The remaining cases were reported from Kolasib (13), Lawngtlai (4), Mamit (3) and Saitual district (2).
According to the official, 3607 samples were tested in the last 24 hours and 7.84 per cent of them came out as positive for Covid-19.
More than 61 children were among the newly infected people, he said.
Ten patients have travel history and the rest 273 were found to be locally contracted the virus, he said.
Of the 273 locally infected patients, 199 were diagnosed with COVID-19 during contact tracing and it is to ascertain how the remaining 74 patients contracted the virus, he added.
The number of active cases now stands at 2,981, while 8,643 people have recovered from the infection.
At least 156 people were discharged from various COVID-19 Care Centres on Friday.
Mizoram has conducted 3,84,898 samples test till date. The recovery rate is 74.14 per cent.
According to state immunization officer Dr Lalzawmi, 2,54,685 people have been administered the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine of which 52,065 people have received both the doses till Friday.
- Meghalaya Chief Justice Biswanath Somadder to take charge of Sikkim HC
- Nagaland Lottery September 18: Check Dear Kosai Morning lottery result
- World Bamboo Day: Assam and its bond with this versatile plant
- US court sets aside proposed Trump-era rule on H-1B visa selection
- Assam: Two militants of newly formed outfit killed in Kokrajhar
- Achieved all, never overstay welcome: Shastri gears up for end of tenure