Aizawl: Mizoram on Monday reported the highest single-day infection rate of 8.10 per cent as 73 out of 904 samples tested positive for COVID-19, which pushed the state’s tally to 7,623, an official said.
The state also reported one more COVID-19 fatality, which mounted the death toll to 21, the official said.
Three police personnel, who returned from West Bengal after poll duty, a healthcare worker and over 19 children were among the newly infected people, he said.
Of the 73 fresh cases, 54 cases were reported from Aizawl district, eight from Siaha, four from Lawngtlai, 1 from Lunglei and two cases each from Kolasib, Serchhip and Khawzawl districts, he said.
Eight patients have travel history, while the rest 65 were found to have locally contracted the virus, he said. Of the 73 patients, 41 have developed symptoms of COVID-19, he added.
Also read: Mizoram reports highest single-day COVID-19 fatality
Meanwhile, a 68-year-old woman from Aizawl’s Kanan Veng succumbed to the infection at Zoram Medical College (ZMC), near Aizawl on Monday.
A medical officer at ZMC said that the victim was diagnosed with COVID-19 on April 21 and was admitted at the medical college on April 23. She died of COVID-19 Pneumonia around 5 am on Monday, he said.
Mizoram now has 1,847 active cases, while 5,755 people have recovered from the infection. As many as 172 people were discharged from various COVID-19 Care Centres on Sunday after they were declared fully recovered.
At least four people died due to COVID-19 within 16 hours between Sunday and Monday. As many as 3,29,805 samples have been tested till date.
- Bangladesh tries fences to tackle growing human-tiger conflict in Sundarbans
- Outcome of 2024 elections will ‘surprise’ people: Rahul Gandhi
- Indian-American eighth-grader Dev Shah crowned 2023 Scripps National Spelling Bee champion
- HC pulls up Meghalaya govt for coal export without seeking its origin
- Assam: Hailakandi BJP leader promised ‘govt jobs’ for money, arrested
- Cong welcomes Shah’s peace plan for Manipur but questions delay