In a tragic incident, two medical students drowned in a river on Wednesday, a senior police officer said.
The victims were identified as C.Lalbiaknunga (21), a resident of Champhai Vengthlang and PC Lalremliana (21) of Dinthar locality in Aizawl, Mizoram Deputy Inspector General of Police (Northern Range) Lalbiakthanga Khiangte said.
Both were studying Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) at Zoram Medical College (ZMC), the state’s lone medical college located at Falkawn, about 18 km south of Aizawl, he said.
The incident occurred when the victims and their friends went to Tuirivang river which falls under Kulikawn police station in Aizawl likely to take a bath in the river to escape the heat, Khiangte said.
Their bodies were recovered in the evening and brought to a nearby village Phulpui, where necessary arrangements for further evacuation will be made, he said.
On being informed, police personnel from Kulikawn police station rushed to Phulpui village and they will conduct an inquest there, he added.
- Arunachal brand ambassador Sanjay Dutt says won’t leave state anytime soon
- Manipur CM lays foundation stone for 50-bed hospital in Noney district
- Watch: Why this is a make-or-break year for Kaziranga’s tourist economy
- No case of Omicron variant reported in India so far: Govt tells Parliament
- Mamata ‘gravitating force’, more people will join her: Mukul Sangma
- 4 Eastern Nagaland contestants withdraw from Miss Nagaland 2021