Aizawl: Personnel of Assam Rifles have recovered substantial quantities of smuggled areca nuts worth over Rs 2.27 crore at two locations in Champhai district near the Myanmar border, Assam Rifles sources said on Wednesday.
The operations were carried out jointly with the Customs Preventive Force of the Central Customs Department on Tuesday and Wednesday, the sources said.
On Tuesday, both teams seized 954 bags of areca nuts at Khawbung village, which was worth more than 2.14 crore.
In another development, the combined team of Assam Rifles and custom preventive force also recovered 50 bags of areca nuts worth over Rs 12 lakh along the Champhai-Mualkawi road on Wednesday, it said. The illegal goods were smuggled from Myanmar, it added.
- The serious ethical problem with some sunscreen testing methods
- Symptoms of long Covid in kids may change over time: Study
- Here’s what Elon Musk’s language teaches us about his ambitions
- Forced religious conversion against Constitution: SC
- Twitter lifted its ban on COVID misinformation – research shows this is a grave risk to public health
- Examine representation on framing of same rules for organ transplant: SC