Aizawl: A 21-year-old medical student was found dead inside his room at the Zoram Medical College (ZMC), about 16-km south of Aizawl on Wednesday, a senior police officer said.
The victim has been identified as Nazar Chakma, a resident of Chawngte C in south Mizoram’s Lawngtlai district. He was found hanging from a ceiling fan of his hostel room while his friends were playing badminton at about 12 noon, Mizoram Deputy Inspector General of Police (Northern Range) Lalbiakthanga Khiangte said.
Khiangte said the victim, a first-year student of MBBS at ZMC, was depressed over his academic performance; he had failed in the results that were announced on Tuesday.
“The student has been avoiding food and remained inactive since Tuesday,” Khiangte said, quoting victim’s roommate Dharsan Chakma.
He said the victim locked his door from inside while his friends were playing a badminton match and was later found hanging with a nylon rope from the ceiling fan.
His roommate and the college watchman broke open the door and lifted the victim’s body, Khiangte said.
The victim was rushed to the ZMC hospital as his body was still warm, but doctors were unable to save him, he said.
According to Khiangte, the police is not suspecting any foul play, as it was a clear case of suicide. The deceased, however, did not leave any suicide note behind, he said.
Autopsy was not conducted at the behest of the victim’s family and his body was brought to Chakma House in Aizawl, from where it will be taken to his native village at Chawngte C in Lawngtlai district, Khiangte said.
- Assam reports six more fatalities, 441 new COVID cases
- Zee Entertainment, Sony India to merge; Punit Goenka to lead
- Assam: ‘Cattle smuggler’ killed, BSF jawan hurt in gunfight along Indo-Bangla border
- WHO chief thanks India for decision to resume COVID-19 vaccine export
- Biomedical waste disposal: This Assam entrepreneur does it with tact, science
- BJP will rebuild temples, demolished to construct mosques: Sangeet Som