Aizawl: Opposition Congress on Tuesday announced a list of candidates for the upcoming polls to the 19-member Aizawl Municipal Corporation (AMC), which is likely to be held next month.
State Congress president Lal Thanhawla announced names of 19 candidates, including 6 women, in a function held here.
The Congress president also inducted 103 new members into Congress during the function.
Speaking on the occasion, Lal Thanhawla expressed confidence of winning the AMC polls.
He alleged that the ruling Mizo National Front (MNF) government headed by chief minister Zoramthanga has completely failed in financial management, which adversely affected the state’s economy.
He said that the government has deferred payment of salaries to government employees and failed to pay pension, provident fund and contract bills due to poor financial management.
He said that Congress will reform the state’s economy if voted to power in the next assembly election, to be held in 2023.
Meanwhile, state election commissioner Laima Chozah said the poll panel is yet to notify the AMC polls.
There are 19 seats in AMC, of which 6 seats are reserved for women.
The term of the corporation ended on December 10 last year.
Earlier, the state government has appointed AMC commissioner K. Laldingliana as an administrator to exercise all power and function vested on the municipal authorities till elections are held.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA