Mizo Zirlai Pawl accuses Assam govt of violating the Centre’s directive to maintain status quo on the controversial land along Assam-Mizoram order
Aizawl: Mizoram government will take steps to prevent encroachment and remove structures constructed by Assam at Zophai area on the disputed land along the Mizoram-Assam border, an official said on Thursday.
The official stated that a meeting of the core committee was convened on Thursday, during which state chief secretary Lalnunmawia Chuango informed that the state government will take measure to remove illegal structures constructed by Assam.
Chuango also said that the state police will be informed to take measure in this regard. “We will take speedy step to ensure that the structures are demolished at the earliest,” he said. The meeting was attended by government officials, leaders of Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP) and other NGOs.
Earlier, the MZP had accused Assam government of violating the centre’s directive to maintain status quo on the disputed land.
MZP general secretary Lalnunmawia Pautu alleged that while the Mizoram did not erect any structure, Assam has rebuilt a mosque and constructed a shop and a building at Zophai area. The mosque was damaged in a blast by unidentified persons on May 24.
Chuango expressed apprehension in Thursday meeting that the mosque might have been damaged by Assam to only rebuild it, Pautu told EastMojo. Border tension erupted at Zophai area near Bairabi town in March last year, when MZP functionaries attempted to construct a resting shed.