While Mizoram has not erected any structure on disputed land, the construction of mosque, shop and building by Assam is regretful, says Mizo Zirlai Pawl
Aizawl: Mizoram’s apex students’ body, the Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), on Wednesday accused the Assam government of breaching the status quo on the disputed land along the Mizoram-Assam border.
MZP general secretary Lalnunmawia Pautu alleged that the mosque, which was damaged with a powerful blast by unidentified miscreant (s) on May 24 at Zophai area near Bairabi town, has been re-constructed by Assam. A business shop and concrete building have also been constructed near the mosque, he said.
Pautu said that the state body on Tuesday wrote to chief minister Zoramthanga, imploring him to take measures so that the newly constructed structures are demolished. The letter said that the Centre has directed both the state governments to maintain status quo at Zophai area, which is a disputed land.
While Mizoram did not erect any structure on the disputed land, the construction of mosque, a business shop and a building by Assam was regretful, the letter said.
The student body also blamed the state government for its inaction to convene a meeting of core committee to discuss the border issue.
The core committee involving the Mizoram government, student bodies and other NGOs was formed by the state government in April last year to oversee the border dispute.
Pautu said that the meeting of the core committee, which was scheduled for Thursday, has been postponed because the chief minister will grace ‘meet the heroes’ conference on that day.
He said that the state government will soon call a meeting on border issue.
Zophai area along the Mizoram-Assam border is a disputed land claimed by both the states. Border standoff took place at the area when MZP functionaries attempt to construct a resting shed there in March last year, which forced the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to interfere in the matter.
At a secretary level talks of Assam and Mizoram held in New Delhi in March last year, the Centre had directed both the state governments to maintain status quo on the disputed land.
A joint committee was also constituted by both the governments under the Union home ministry in that year.
The committee carried out inspection of illegal structures in the inner line reserved forest area, which was suspended again following a dispute at zero point in Dholchera-Phaisen area in April last year.