Tura: In a boost to the TMC chances in the North Tura Assembly constituency, former MLA of Rongram and MDC of Jengjal Ismail Marak, along with his supporters, joined the party on Sunday.
The move assumes significance as Ismail was one of the contenders for a BJP ticket from the constituency but was rejected by the party leaders. The ticket went to former TMC leader Adamkid Sangma instead.
Ismail and his supporters pledged their support to TMC candidate Rupert Sangma, who is in battle with NPP’s Thomas Sangma and the BJP’s Adamkid Sangma in what is seen as a close fight.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Ismail is a former MLA of Rongram before delimitation of the constituency. He defeated the then MLA, Sengman Marak, by a margin of over 1,500 votes. He won as an independent candidate in 2008 before losing to James Sangma in the newly created Dadenggre constituency.
Also Read | NF Railway clocks 9 pc jump in freight unloading in FY’24
- Assam: Rhino carcass found at Kaziranga National Park
- Dikchu landslide: Sikkim mulls mass evacuation from sinking area
- Active Covid cases above 10,000 after 134 days
- Govt taking effort to lower volume limit for vehicle horns: Meghalaya Dy CM
- Manipur: Fake liquor manufacturing unit busted in Thoubal
- Nagaland to allow sale of liquor to foreign delegates during G20 meet