Shillong: The Meghalaya Cabinet on Wednesday approved the proposal for new rates of tax on petrol and diesel.
Following the Govt of Assam’s decision to revise rates of petrol and diesel and as practised in Meghalaya, whenever the rates of fuel in Assam are changed, commensurate to that, GoM also revises its rates to take advantage of the price differential.
As of date, the rate of tax for petrol is 13.5% or Rs 11 per litre, whichever is higher. This has been revised to 13.5% or Rs 12.50, whichever is higher. For diesel, the present rate is 5% or Rs 4 per litre, whichever is higher and is revised to 5% or Rs 5.50 per litre, whichever is higher.
The new rates of tax will be applicable from August 25, 2022. The retail sale price of petrol in Byrnihat will be Rs 95.10 and Rs 96.83 in Shillong and for Diesel, the retail sale price will be Rs 83.50 in Byrnihat and Rs 84.72 in Shillong.
Cabinet Minister James Sangma said the price of petrol in Byrnihat would be rupees 1.92 cheaper than what it is in Assam.
“Along with this, I would also like to inform you that, despite the hike in our tax structure and the consequent increase in the prices of petrol and diesel, we as a state, in terms of petrol and diesel prices are the cheapest in the entire country,” said Sangma.
Also read | Heavy rains expected in Assam, other NE states
- Meghalaya: World Disabled Day observed in South Garo Hills
- Leftist agenda on JNU campus won’t succeed anymore: VHP
- BJP-IPFT has given corruption free governance in Tripura: Manik Saha
- Special help desk for persons with disabilities at Guwahati airport
- With Meghalaya speaker joining NPP, will TMC take Phulbari’s sitting MLA?
- Mizoram: Weapons recovered in Tuipang, 4 Myanmar nationals held