Umiam (Meghalaya): Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Wednesday extended full support to BJP presidential candidate Droupadi Murmu and said she represents hope for every tribal in the country.
Murmu visited the state during the day to meet the lawmakers of ruling Meghalaya democratic Alliance and seek their support for the July 18 presidential poll.
As President, Smti Draupadi Ji will represent a New India. She represents hope for every tribal, every girl & every woman & will carry with her the aspirations of small communities of India … We are proud of her & wish her all the best for the upcoming Presidential Election, he said.
Meghalaya extends its support to her. As a tribal community, it will be our honour to offer our support to India’s first indigenous tribal woman as our country’s president, he said.
However, Shangpliang clarified that he had been invited like several other leaders cutting across party lines. “I have not come on behalf of the TMC. I have come as an individual to show my respect to a tribal woman nominated to the highest post in the country,” he told the media.
- Shrine dedicated to mark centenary of arrival of Salesian Sisters in Northeast
- Meghalaya 2023: Can the BJP turn support into seats in Garo Hills?
- Tripura: BSF-BGB resolve to end border killings, combat insurgents
- Meghalaya: Three-day Winter Tales fest to begin on Dec 19 in Shillong
- IIT Madras develops device that generate electricity from sea waves
- IOA elections: PT Usha to be officially elected as first woman president