Shillong: Meghalaya home minister Lahkmen Rymbui on Thursday informed that the main person involved in sending email threats under the name ‘Lawei Ba Phyrnai’ to the Meghalaya chief minister has been arrested and two others have been detained.
Briefing media persons, Rymbui said that after news reports said Lawei Ba Phyrnai, which claims to be a new militant group, threatened to blow up schools in the state, the police department took swift action in investigating the case.
“To remove the fear that was prevailing among the residents of the state, the police with the crime branch has been able to crack the case yesterday. The police department is investigating more to see if this was a one-man show or not,” said Rymbui.
The three persons (one arrested and two detained) are residents of Shillong, according to the home minister.
He added that no arms were recovered: only hardware and software used by the persons for sending email were picked up. The home minister said that full details will be given after they get more information after the investigation is done.
It may be mentioned that the chief minister had earlier mentioned that they are not taking things lightly, and a meeting was also held with the Special DGP to look into the matter.
Also Read: In pictures: Gusty winds wreak havoc in Meghalaya’s Ri-Bhoi District
- Stage set for inauguration of new Parliament building by PM on Sunday
- Insurance Industry comes together for life insurance awareness in Mizoram
- How the practice of Nichiren Buddhism sustained Tina Turner for 50 years
- Nepal starts exporting electricity to India
- Naga Students’ Federation to rebuild building vandalised by miscreants
- Separate admin right solution to end violence in Manipur: Cong leader