Shillong: The Meghalaya government on Wednesday welcomed the statement made by the banned militant outfit Hynñiewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) offering peace talks.
Briefing mediapersons following a meeting with senior officials, deputy chief minister and home minister, Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma shared that they welcome the statement but would need an official confirmation in the form of a letter from HNLC.
“We as a government have already started taking steps and identifying an interlocutor. There was a long discussion on the list of names which can’t be disclosed at the moment,” said Sangma.
On Tuesday, in a statement issued by HNLC general secretary-cum-publicity secretary Saiñkupar Nongtraw had said the organisation has decided to give peace a chance after receiving a lot of requests from elders and social organisations over the past few days.
It said the peace process was derailed after last year’s killing or the fake encounter of the militants former GS (L) Cherishterfield Thangkhiew.
Nongtraw said that Thangkhiew’s death brought sadness to the whole Hynñiewtrep region, adding, “Che was also in favour of the peace talks and he was assigned the task to carry forward their message to the Government of India.”
- SC mobile app 2.0 launched, law officers can view court proceedings real time
- Tripura ex-CM Biplab Deb demands ASI circle office to boost tourism in state
- Pak Rangers capture BSF jawan who crossed over IB inadvertently
- Manipur film archivist Johnson Rajkumar honoured in Mumbai
- Bhupendra Patel to continue as Gujarat CM; oath-taking ceremony on Dec 12
- Over 13 MT of coal illegally mined: Meghalaya HC