Shillong: Meghalaya police on Saturday seized heroin weighing 1.116 kg from Madanrting locality in Shillong.
East Khasi Hills District Superintendent of Police (SP) Sylvester Nongtnger said the contraband was trafficked from Myanmar. During the search operation following a tip off, 101 soap boxes (66 soap boxes kept inside a purple bag and 35 soap boxes kept inside a carton) were recovered, the SP said.
“On Friday, we received information that an illegal consignment of narcotic drugs was being delivered to a person staying at Madanrting. On Saturday, after the information was verified, the ANTF Team along with officers and personnel of Madanrting PS proceeded to the residence of the suspect. A house search was conducted at the residence of the suspect in the presence of independent witnesses,” informed Nongtnger.
The SP said 110 soap boxes were recovered during the search and that all the soap boxes contained heroin, which was confirmed by a preliminary test. The SP added that two women have been arrested in the case and investigation is on to nab others involved in the racket.
- Meghalaya: Hills Festival 2023 wraps up with eclectic cultural celebrations
- It is time we discussed the impending Deepfake apocalypse
- Sikkim flood: Govt begins process of issuing death certificates for missing persons
- Brahmaputra Valley Film Festival to begin on Dec 14: See details here
- Nagaland: Pastor arrested in ‘Mystery Box’ scam
- Mizoram: Drug-related deaths highest in nearly two decades