Shillong: The Meghalaya Cabinet on Friday approved the proposal from the political department for the upgradation of Mairang Civil Sub-Division to a new district.
Informing the media, deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong said the newly-created district will be named Eastern West Khasi Hills and it will be inaugurated on November 10, 2021.
Tynsong said this is not a political decision and has been taken to bring the administration closer to the people. He refused to divulge more details but said the details of the geographical boundary will be read out in the notification on the day of inauguration.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma took to Twitter to share the good news.
He tweeted, “Proposal to upgrade the Mairang Civil Sub-Division to a full-fledged district has been approved by the Cabinet today. Happy to announce that the new district will be named Eastern West Khasi Hills and will be inaugurated on 10th Nov 2021.”
With the addition of a new district, Meghalaya now has a total of 12 districts. Naming them are West Jaintia, East Jaintia Hills District, East Khasi Hills, West Khasi Hills, South West Khasi Hills, Ri Bhoi, North Garo Hills, East Garo Hills, South Garo Hills, West Garo Hills and South West Garo Hills District, and the latest is Eastern West Khasi Hills District.
Also read: Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy: Vidarbha crush Nagaland by five wickets
- Meghalaya CM says load-shedding will continue, but things will improve soon
- Arunachal: East Kameng police solves ATM robbery case, arrests culprit
- BJP-TIPRA clash on TTAADC budget in Tripura Assembly
- Dimapur-Kohima railway line project work on in full swing: NFR
- Steel slag road technology a boon to BRO: Niti Aayog member
- Mamata urges Prez Murmu to protect Constitutional rights of people