Shillong: Counting for the recently held bypolls to the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly kicked off at 8 am on Tuesday. Elections were held on October 30 in three assembly constituencies – Mawryngkneng, Mawphlang and Rajabala constituency – with a total of 13 candidates in the fray.
Meghalaya’s ruling party NPP has won Rajabala assembly constituency with Md. Abdus Saleh defeating his nearest opponent Hashina Yashmin Mondal of the Congress by a margin of over 1,926 votes, Chief Electoral Officer FR Kharkongor said.
In the Mawryngkneng constituency, NPP’s Pyniaid Sing Syiem has defeated his nearest Congress rival Highlander Kharmalki with a margin of 1,816 votes.
The United Democratic Party (UDP) has won the Mawphalang constituency as Eugeneson Lyngdoh defeated Congress’ Kennedy Cornelius Khyriem with a margin of 4,401 votes.
The bypolls in Meghalaya were necessitated due to the deaths of two Congress legislators David A Nongrum from Mawryngkneng and Dr Azad Zaman from Rajabala – and of Independent MLA from Mawphlang SK Sunn.
This where candidates across constituencies stand.
NPP’s Pyniaid Sing Syiem has defeated his nearest Congress rival Highlander Kharmalki with a margin of 1,816 votes.
- Pyniaid Syiem (NPP) – 14177
- Highlander Kharmalki (INC) – 12361
- Norbert Marboh (IND) – 1400
- Esron Marweiñ (IND) – 485
- Arbiangkam Kharsohmat (IND) – 214
- None of The Above – 238
The UDP is leading in Mawphalang constituency where its candidate Eugeneson Lyngdoh was ahead of Congress’ Kennedy Cornelius Khyriem by 4,401 votes, according to the Election Commission website.
- Eugeneson Lyngdoh (UDP) – 13285
- Kennedy Khyriem (INC) – 8884
- Lamphrang Blah (NPP) – 5103
- NOTA – 202
Meghalaya’s ruling party NPP won the Rajabala assembly constituency as its candidate Md. Abdus Saleh defeated his nearest opponent Hashina Yashmin Mondal of the Congress by a margin of over 1,900 votes, Chief Electoral Officer FR Kharkongor said.
The National People’s Party nominee secured 11,823 votes while Mondal got 9,897, he said. United Democratic Party’s Ashahel D Shira secured the third position with 7,247 votes, the CEO said.
- Md. Abdus Saleh (NPP) – 11,823
- Hasina Yasmin Mondal (INC) – 9897
- Ashahel D Shira (UDP) – 7247
- Kingstone B Marak (BJP) – 333
- Carla R Sangma (INP) – 255
- NOTA – 174
We are updating this live blog with information as it comes… Keep refreshing for the latest results
- Assam ready with roadmap to take back youths who abjure violence: CM
- Arunachal to provide budgetary support to promote sports events: Khandu
- 5 suspected ‘Chinese’ nationals caught with precious stones at Gangtok hotel
- Nagaland: One person killed in Mon during protests, death toll rises to 14
- Review: ‘Drushyam 2’ is just as good as its Malayalam original
- Eastern Naga students condemn ‘inhuman massacre’, call for end of AFSPA