Shillong: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Centre for Policy Research and Analysis of IIM Shillong started its two-day North East Summit on Food Processing Opportunities on Friday.
The summit is being scheduled for September 24 & 25 at IIM Shillong Campus at Umsawli with the Minister of State for Food Processing Industries and Jal Shakti Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurating the summit.
During the inaugural speech, the MoS stated that information on all schemes and programmes provided by the government is important. “It seems in the Northeast there is still lack of awareness on different schemes that can benefit the people at large,” said Patel.
He added that connectivity and coordination with different other departments and ministries is required for the entrepreneurs to flourish. He said there shouldn’t be any lack of communication between the departments and the stakeholders.
Meanwhile, IIM Shillong Board of Governors (BoG) member Atul Kulkarni stated that overall in the Northeast there are only 60,000 units registered under MSME, which accounts for only 0.7% of the country’s total registered units.
“Insufficient institutional support and inadequate R&D are some of the major challenges that the food processing sector in the NE faces,” said Kulkarni.
Poor infrastructure and less financial support is what is dragging the region down even though there are many potential, Kulkarni added. He said entrepreneur competence is there in the NE region which is a good sign.
During the event, successful entrepreneurs from different parts of the region shared their endeavours and challenges about their journey, including the famous Arunachal wine brewer, Tage Rita, and Manipur’s famous proprietor of Meira foods Shubra Devi.
- Meghalaya: TUR files defamation case against FB page, its admin
- Former US President Bill Clinton recovering from infection in hospital
- Rajasthan teacher held for raping 11-yr-old after girl dials child helpline for assistance
- Fuel price hike in Meghalaya: Local cabbies, residents face challenges
- Chhattisgarh: One killed, 16 injured as SUV runs over people during Durga idol procession
- JEE-Advanced 2021: Mridul Agarwal from Delhi zone bags top rank; Kavya Chopra tops among females