Shillong: One person was arrested in Meghalaya‘s Ri-Bhoi district on Friday after he was found illegally carrying explosives including over 4,000 gelatine sticks and 2,000-odd detonators in a vehicle going to Assam, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, the district police team intercepted the vehicle near Byrnihat outpost at around 1 am following a chase.
The car was proceeding towards Guwahati, a police spokesperson said.
The vehicle was initially asked to stop at Umsning, but it sped away. A police team then chased the vehicle and finally intercepted it at Byrnihat, he said.
On searching the vehicle, 2,044 aluminium instantaneous electrical detonators and 4,027 neo-gel (gelatine sticks) were found inside it, the spokesperson said.
A criminal case has been registered under Nongpoh police station against the occupant of the vehicle under the Explosive Substances Act.
- Tripura polls: BJP to contest in 55 seats; ally IPFT to fight in 5
- Death and dying: how different cultures deal with grief, mourning
- PM to campaign for BJP in poll-bound Meghalaya
- Why it isn’t surprising when the pope says being gay ‘isn’t a crime’
- Space sector associations from Indo-Pacific join hands to explore new opportunities
- What effect will lunar new year have on COVID spread in China?