Shillong: One person was arrested in Meghalaya‘s Ri-Bhoi district on Friday after he was found illegally carrying explosives including over 4,000 gelatine sticks and 2,000-odd detonators in a vehicle going to Assam, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, the district police team intercepted the vehicle near Byrnihat outpost at around 1 am following a chase.
The car was proceeding towards Guwahati, a police spokesperson said.
The vehicle was initially asked to stop at Umsning, but it sped away. A police team then chased the vehicle and finally intercepted it at Byrnihat, he said.
On searching the vehicle, 2,044 aluminium instantaneous electrical detonators and 4,027 neo-gel (gelatine sticks) were found inside it, the spokesperson said.
A criminal case has been registered under Nongpoh police station against the occupant of the vehicle under the Explosive Substances Act.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing