Shillong: While Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma, together with local heads and NGOs, is working to try and retrieve the weapons seized by miscreants on August 15, there are concerns over the Chief Minister not taking stringent actions against those responsible.

On Wednesday, Sangma emphasised that the identity and names of miscreants involved in taking the weapons and setting the police car ablaze will remain anonymous. The chief minister said that anonymity will be maintained as the interest of the state was to retrieve the weapons.

“Since we are not very clear about the situation and the circumstances, we can’t assume that they (the miscreants) came with the intention of grabbing the weapons at this point of time. We are more concerned about the safety of the people,” Sangma said. 

The police officials who abandoned their weapons have been suspended and an investigation has been launched to understand the sequence of events. Out of the four police officials, one of them ran away with his weapons, while three deserted them on the spot. The chief minister had earlier remarked that his weapon is as good as his body for a police officer and that an officer can never leave his weapon behind at any cost.

A video had surfaced on social media on August 15 that showed masked miscreants taking the police car for a ride around Mawlai locality and brandishing the rifles as they later set the car ablaze.

Also read | Assam Rifles seized Rs 1,600cr illegally traded goods in NE since 2020


Trending Stories


Latest Stories


Leave a comment

Leave a comment Cancel reply