Shillong: Meghalaya home minister Lahkmen Rymbui on Wednesday acknowledged that there was a “security lapse” leading to the IED blast at Laitumkhrah market in state capital Shillong that left two persons, including a woman, injured on Tuesday afternoon.

Condemning the incident and terming it as unfortunate, Rymbui admitted that there was a security lapse, if not a total intelligence failure.

“We did not anticipate that such an incident would happen, especially in that area. This is a wake-up call. The police will have to be more vigilant and not treat any information as small,” said Rymbui.

The home minister also urged the residents to report any suspicious movement of people in their locality or area immediately to the police.

Rymbui also lauded the residents of the state for their vigilance that has helped the police department to get necessary information about unlawful activities.

Meanwhile, terming the incident as a criminal act, the home minister said the government will ensured that peace prevails.

“We are treating everything as a major issue, and not minor. The police are investigating so that so that these things don’t happen in the future. At the moment I can’t disclose everything since all possibilities have been looked into and the police will do its necesary duty,” informed Rymbui.

According to the home minister, he has given full leverage to the police department to ensure peace and eliminate any kind of criminal elements in the state.

Also read | Widespread rains likely over many parts of Northeast India this week: IMD

Concerning the media fraternity receiving threats from the banned militant outfit Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), Rymbui said that such a thing is uncalled for and should be withdrawn.

“Nobody can pressure the press to do what they have to do. The press is performing their duty and the duty of the press is to give information within the legal framework of the constitution and within the legal parameters allowed by the Press Council of India,” said Rymbui.

Following the IED blast at Laitumkhrah market in Shillong, terror outfit HNLC claimed responsibility for the incident

Earlier on Wednesday afternoon, an IED blast took place at Laitumkhrah market leaving two persons injured. Following the blast, the HNLC claimed responsibility for the incident and even warned the media for not publishing their statement on calling a bandh.

According to a statement issued by the general secretary of HNLC, Sainkupar Nongtraw, “The media houses are expected to be neutral. But if they continue to comply with the order of the High Court by not publishing our statement then they are no longer independent. We will consider them as our enemy.”



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment