Shillong: After several children reportedly falling sick after consuming ice cream, East Jaintia Hills District Food Safety Officer (FSO) made an inspection and found that ice cream makers have been using inedible industrial chemical powders in their products.
The authorities in East Jaintia Hills restricted the sale of ice cream by itinerant peddlers until investigations could be carried out.
The Deputy Commissioner was informed that five ice cream manufacturing units were inspected in the areas around Khliehriat and Ladrymbai on Wednesday.
Four factories were found to have added chemical powders to enhance their sweetness.
The authorities had mentioned that it was a clear violation of the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006 and also a serious health hazard.
The chemicals used are usually meant for electroplating and cleaning metals.
Forty-two packets of the powders were seized and the FSO recommended that other legal measures be taken against those responsible given the serious nature of the violation.
- Rasik Mohan Chakma removed for holding ‘office of profit’
- BTS at UNGA: ARMY call them inspiration for future generations
- BJP worker trampled to death by elephants in Assam
- Heroin worth Rs 3.5 crore seized in Assam’s Karbi Anglong
- Assam Jobs: DEE Assam announces 9354 teacher vacancies, see details
- Sikkim’s Bkey Agarwal finishes second in Nepal’s Comedy Champion