Meghalaya Police on Sunday morning recovered explosives hidden in Ri-Bhoi District near Umling.
According to Assistant Inspector General of Police, GK Iangrai, it was a joint operation conducted by West Garo Hills Police along with Ri-Bhoi Police in Umdu village on Umling-Patharkhmah Road under Nongpoh PS.
The items recovered during the operation were 2.875 Kg Gelatine Stick Class-2 Explosives (23 Nos.) 24 Non-Electric Detonators and approximately 9 m Safety Fuse/Cordtex.
One person was also arrested on grounds of possession of these explosives.
Iangrai informed that this recovery was part of an ongoing investigation in which two persons were arrested in Tura on July 23, 2021.
“These two persons were planning to form a new militant outfit and to kidnap an unknown person from Tura-Dalu Road,” informed Iangrai. With timely and swift action taken by West Garo Hills Police, the kidnapping attempt was foiled.
Further, during the investigation, the arrested persons revealed that they have kept some explosives hidden in Ri-Bhoi District near Umling to prepare an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) for causing a blast somewhere in Garo Hills. “Accordingly, the operation was launched this morning and mentioned recoveries were made,” stated Iangrai.
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary
- NE has been converted into heartland from hinterland: Union minister
- Kashmiri tycoon Sahil Zaroo in jail for ‘raping’ NE girl, bail hearing today
- Twitterati take farmers’ protest online, urge UN to intervene