Shillong: The President of India, as Visitor to central universities, has appointed Prof Prabha Shankar Shukla as the new vice chancellor (VC) of North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), Shillong in Meghalaya.
According to a press notification issued by Vijay Kumar, under secretary to the government of India, Prof Shukla of GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, Uttarakhand has been appointed as the VC of NEHU “for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office, or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier”.
The tenure of the previous VC, Prof SK Srivastava, had ended on September 23, 2020. His tenure was extended for a year despite criticism from various quarters.
Prof Srivastava had assumed office on September 24, 2015.
A Joint Action Committee (JAC), consisting of the North-Eastern Hill University Teachers’ Association (NEHUTA), North-Eastern Hill University Non-Teaching Staff Association (NEHUNTSA) and North-Eastern Hill University Students’ Union (NEHUSU), had demanded Prof Srivastava’s removal.
The JAC had also carried out several demonstrations last year. It had alleged that Srivastava performed poorly and did not do much for the university during his tenure as the VC.
Meanwhile, the Meghalaya Confederation for Academic Welfare (MeCAW) had last year demanded for homegrown local qualified professors from NEHU. It had also alleged financial irregularities and wanted an investigation to be carried out into the allegations.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing