Shillong: Meghalaya will get its 12th district-Mairang-and the district will become functional before 2021 Independence Day, Chief Minister Conrad Sangma informed.
“Because of COVID, the situation has been slightly slow, but Mairang will be the new district. West Khasi Hills District has been neglected a lot, so this decision will improve the people’s livelihood and bring the administration closer to the people. Mairang, at the moment, is at the bottom in terms of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the main purpose of doing this is to push the living standards of people in Mairang and other parts of West Khasi Hills, so the need was justified,” Sangma told media persons.
When asked whether this will lead to demand for new districts, Sangma said that everything has its pros and cons and that they have to weigh the options.
On similar demands for upgrading Sohra into a full-fledged district, Sangma showed slight hesitancy, stating that Sohra has been an area of concern, but because of geographical landscape and the areas of Pynursla and other areas across the valley, geographical mapping is not coming to a point where they can look at a consensus.
The chief minister also informed that Power Minister James Sangma has also been demanding a district in Dadenggre. However, the Government has assured of examining the demand, and no decision has been taken on the matter.
- Voices still missing from online activism
- Sharp butt pains & more: 5 lesser-known menstrual cycle symptoms
- Outdated Covid travel advisories, conflicting norms causing inconvenience to people
- Making efforts to protect rights of baby in foster care in Germany: MEA
- Why our world might look very different if dinosaurs hadn’t gone extinct
- Garo’s colourful 100 Drums Wangala festival celebrated in Assam