Shillong: Breaking away from its usual practice, Meghalaya government on Friday decided not to brief the media after its Cabinet meeting.

The Cabinet meeting started at 12:30 pm and ended at 3 pm. Several journalists were waiting for a media briefing after the meet. Although chief minister Conrad K Sangma had earlier assured that power minister James Sangma would brief the media after the Cabinet meeting on COVID-19, nothing happened eventually.

Later in the evening, health minister AL Hek turned up for a media briefing but only for the review meeting of COVID-19 that was held in the second half of the day.

At the same time, the chief minister’s office issued a press statement informing about the decision of the cabinet.

Later, media persons tried to speak to deputy chief minister Prestone Tynsong about the cabinet meeting but he refused to speak with media and refrained from uttering any word about the meeting.

The development is a slight deviation from the normal practice of informing the media after every Cabinet meeting and the decisions made by the government.

Speculations are rife about the state government avoiding media persons who have been continuously questioning the ministers on the alleged FCI rice scam exposed by the Assam police.

Also read: 17 children died of COVID-19 in Meghalaya: Health minister

Earlier, CM Conrad K Sangma said that the seizure of rice from a godown in Assam has nothing to do with the public distribution system (PDS) or COVID relief but was “meant for the social welfare department”.

He was reacting to concerns expressed by several quarters following the recent seizure of huge quantity of rice from a godown in Assam.

Sangma said there is no question of NFSA rice being there in Assam’s godown as there is no tag that says it is rice earmarked for Meghalaya.



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment