Shillong: In continuation with the vaccination drive for the inmates in Meghalaya, 59 inmates of Tura district jail received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday.
According to Inspector General of Prisons, Mariahom Kharkrang, the vaccinated inmates were from different age groups. He said that the drive to vaccinate the inmates in different prisons of the state would continue.
On June 4, 66 inmates of Shillong prison got their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Kharkrang mentioned that they were kept on priority since the inmates were all 45 years and above. “The drive will also be carried in all other prisons. Prison staff and family members who could not avail earlier were administered their first dose of vaccine,” added Kharkrang.
Last year 1,176 prisoners were released, including 11 convicts, seven prisoners on remission and 1,158 undertrial prisoners. The decision followed the Supreme Court order directing states to constitute a high-power committee and task them with identifying prisoners who could be released on parole or interim bail to decongest jails given the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 12-hour bandh in Sikkim against ‘immigrant’ row
- Manipur: Drug smuggler held with brown sugar worth Rs 6 crore
- Pawan Hans helicopter services launched in 4 sectors in Assam
- HC relief for Assam man whose late mother was declared ‘foreigner’
- Bengal Guv addresses to assembly, BJP MLAs stage walkout
- Half his plants died, but this Ukhrul farmer never gave up: Here’s why