Shillong: Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) MLA Adelbert Nongrum on Monday questioned the Meghalaya Home Minister on what actions have been taken concerning the attempted rape in the disputed areas of the Meghalaya-Assam border.
Home Minister Lahkmen Rymbui responded that a case has been registered at Nongstoin Police station case number 702, 2021 under Section 35 40 IPC under POCSO Act and investigation into the case is going on.
Rymbui informed that the government was aware of the incident. “The distance of the incident took place from the nearest police outpost is 2 kilometres from Langpih anti-dacoity Camp,” informed Rymbui.
Asking the outcome of the investigation, Nongrum expressed that he was hopeful that the government would take the matter seriously.
“We have seen and experienced that our people residing at border areas have faced several problems like harassment and suppression,” stated Nongrum.
Nongrum highlighted how this case was not the first incident. He urged the government to take stringent actions.
“Investigation is going on. I cannot give a timeline of the investigation because collection of evidence is carried out and then after that they will submit the chargesheet,” said Rymbui.
On February 7, 2021, three girls hailing from Mawsikar village near Langpih, accused three Assam Police (Battalion) personnel of manhandling them and attempting to rape them while they were on their way to attend church service on Sunday evening.
An FIR was lodged at Langpih police outpost in West Khasi Hills against three Assam Police (Battalion) personnel by the relatives of the girls.
- An expert explains the recipe for making the perfect romcom
- Mizoram records 534.42 crores loss over two years due to African Swine Fever
- Arunachal: Tawang Marathon draws massive participation from across India, UK
- Mizoram Chief Minister accuses ZPM of contradictory actions regarding Chakma votes
- NASA just brought back the largest-ever asteroid sample
- Manipur: Wife of man arrested by NIA says he is wrongly implicated