Shillong: Rajabala Congress MLA Dr Azad Zaman passed away early on Thursday morning after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Dr Azad passed away at the age of 47. The news of his death has left many members of the Meghalaya Legislative Assembly in deep shock.
Speaking with EastMojo, Congress MLA Ampareen Lyngdoh said Azad’s death was profound loss for the party in Meghalaya.
“He was a young, vibrant, dedicated legislator. A first-timer, a doctor by profession. He passed away this morning at 2 am following a massive cardiac arrest,” Lyngdoh said.
Lyngdoh left Shillong for Rajabala to pay her last respects and will also be joined by other party leaders from the Garo Hills region.
Also read: Meghalaya govt to regulate online gaming to generate revenue
Meghalaya Legislative Assembly Speaker, Metbah Lyngdoh expressed that it was unfathomable that Dr Azad was no more.
“He was a wonderful person and this news comes as a shock not only to me but to all the colleagues in the House. I convey my deepest condolences to Dr Azad’s family members and may his soul rest in eternal peace,” said Lyngdoh.
Party sources said Dr Azad was geared up for the upcoming Garo Hills Autonomous District Council (GHADC) elections.
Meghalaya chief minister Conrad K Sangma took to Twitter to share his condolence message. “Shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden demise of Hon’ble MLA of Rajabala, Meghalaya, Dr Azad Zaman. Dynamic and young leader of the plain belt of Garo Hills who worked tirelessly for the people. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. May he rest in peace,” tweeted Sangma.
- Assam: IIT G concludes workshop on ‘Technology Vision 2047’ for NE region
- ‘Goldilocks’ star reveals how water gets to planets like Earth
- Underactive immune response may explain severe Covid in obese: Study
- Are flu cases already 100 times higher than last year? Here’s what we really know about the 2023 flu season
- Antibiotics shouldn’t be used in Covid unless suspicion of bacterial infection: Centre
- How financial stress can affect your mental health