Shillong: A four-month pregnant woman was found dead in her residence in Umdang village in West Khasi Hills District late Monday evening.
According to a police officer, they had received a call at 1 am that a 25-year-old Serilis Rongrin was dead in her house, following which they rushed to the spot.
After speaking with relatives and villagers, the police initially suspected that she was murdered by her husband Arius Nianglang. The official said that neighbours had complained about the husband ill-treating his wife under the influence of alcohol.
The husband, who had broken the door, fled from the scene before the crime came to light.
With the help of sources, the police were able to nab Niangliang from a nearby village on Tuesday afternoon.
“The accused had already confessed to physically assaulting his wife. All legal formalities will be observed and the investigation is on to prove the facts,” said the police officer.
Rongrin, who was four months pregnant. is survived by her three-year-old son. A local who wished to remain anonymous mentioned that the woman had been beaten in the past, so much so that she did not even come out of the house. This had even left the neighbours worried about her condition.
- 108 South Koreans on pilgrimage of Buddhist sites in India, Nepal
- Soon, train passengers can order food via WhatsApp
- Italy-based Indian man held for impersonating Vice President
- 3 killed in collision between ambulance, truck in Siliguri
- CBI nabs 2 NF Railway engineers in bribery case
- Meghalaya 2023: 11 candidates from 3 EGH constituencies file nominations