Imphal: A three-centuries-old idol was found desecrated in a place of worship in Imphal’s Brahmapur area, police said on Friday.
The place of worship is protected under the Manipur Ancient and Historical Monuments and Archeological Sites and Remains Act, 1976.
Help sustain honest journalism.
“Locks on two iron doors in the place of worship were broken and the idol was desecrated on Thursday night,” a police officer said.
Manipur Assembly Speaker and local MLA Th Satyabrata visited the spot and assured of all possible assistance. Forensic teams also visited the premises.
Also Read | Manipur: Over 3,500 acres of poppy fields destroyed, says Guv
- Meghalaya: MLA Methodius Dkhar seeks proper road connectivity
- Nagaland CM calls for oil exploration in inter-state border areas
- Ruckus hit Tripura Assembly as Kokborok script stir war of words
- Sikkim reports 6 new COVID-19 cases
- Literary body apologises over its Assamese-Bengali ‘gamosa’
- Meghalaya wants private investors to run MCCL in PPP mode: Conrad K Sangma