Imphal: Manipur police on Wednesday arrested one Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) personnel presently attached to Thoubal district commando unit in connection with a vehicle theft case.
The arrested person has been identified as one Athokpam Rameshwar Singh, 34, son of A Bira of Thoubal Athokpam Mayai Leikai. He was arrested from his residence at around 2:45 pm.
Based on reliable inputs, a combined team of Imphal West district police, anti-vehicle theft cell and Thoubal district commando unit carried out the search operation.
During the search, the team recovered two Alto cars and one scooter from his residence. However, the seized vehicles were found without registration number except one Alto car with a registration number of MN05A3097, which was obtained from the Chassis number.
A case has been registered at Imphal police station for further investigation and to find out other persons involved.
Meanwhile, with the increasing number of vehicle theft cases in the state, Manipur police has appealed the public who are in possession of stolen vehicles to surrender them at the earliest to avoid any legal action.
Possession of stolen vehicle is liable for punishment of three years in jail along with fine, according to Themthing Ngasangva, IGP (Zone 1) of Manipur Police.
- India’s great untapped resource: its jobless young people
- Manipur: 550 gm heroin seized, one arrested in Imphal
- Rare records on India’s freedom struggle, unsung heroes on display at National Archives
- Tudu reviews implementation of JJM in Meghalaya
- China-US tensions: how global trade began splitting into two blocs
- India reports nearly 16,000 new Covid cases, 68 deaths