Imphal: Thokchom Satyabrata Singh was unanimously elected the new speaker of the 12th Manipur Legislative Assembly on Thursday.
48-year-old Singh was re-elected from the Yaiskul constituency on a BJP ticket, defeating his nearest rival H Vikram of the National People’s Party (NPP) by 632 votes.
Singh was a minister in the previous BJP-led coalition government in Manipur. He holds a Master’s degree from Manipur University.
The first session of the newly-formed Manipur government began on Thursday at 10 am.
- Math of human behaviour: how to spot liars, counter disinformation
- Space wars: Dream-walking towards the planetoid bomb
- Tour de France: How many calories will the winner burn?
- Sri Lanka civil society expresses displeasure over 22nd Amendment
- The five drawbacks to following your passion
- Women’s Hockey WC: India eye revenge against England in opener