Imphal: Thokchom Satyabrata Singh was unanimously elected the new speaker of the 12th Manipur Legislative Assembly on Thursday.
48-year-old Singh was re-elected from the Yaiskul constituency on a BJP ticket, defeating his nearest rival H Vikram of the National People’s Party (NPP) by 632 votes.
Singh was a minister in the previous BJP-led coalition government in Manipur. He holds a Master’s degree from Manipur University.
The first session of the newly-formed Manipur government began on Thursday at 10 am.
Nagaland: Total bandh along Manipur border extended indefinitely
- Assam: down town University enters Limca Book of Records
- IIT Madras develops portable device to detect milk adulteration
- Xi’s Moscow trip shows peace in Ukraine isn’t China’s main concern
- SC to hear pleas challenging validity of 1991 law on religious places
- UK PM Rishi Sunak launches crackdown on ‘anti-social behaviour’
- Not many players are as hungry to score as I am: Sunil Chhetri