Imphal: Dinganglung (Dipu) Gangmei, a bureaucrat-turned-politician, registered a historic victory on a BJP ticket after he trounced the former deputy chief minister and senior Congress leader Gaikhangam Gangmei from Nungba constituency in the 12th Manipur Legislative Assembly elections. Gaikhangam, who is also the Congress Working Committee member, was contesting for a tenth term.
Dipu Gangmei won by over 3,500 votes in the state elections.
Speaking to EastMojo, the winning BJP candidate from Nungba AC said, “It is not a contest at all…it is just a replacement. He is my cousin, and I am going to seek advice from him.”
He also expressed his gratitude to the BJP leaders for supporting him through thick and thin and assured that he would stand by the party principles.
“I have put up my vision document during my election campaign, and I am focusing on health facilities, primary education and support for senior citizens, pregnant women and lactating mothers,” said Dipu Gangmei.
While stating ways to bridge the long-standing gap between the hills and valley, the bureaucrat turned politician said the regions are artificially divided. “(The) Hill and valley is an artificial divide. Even in my constituency, we have Kukis, Chirus, Rongmeis and Kabuis, which is sort of mini-Manipur. So, we can live as one state without hurting each other,” he added.
- Assam TMC open to local alliances with parties fighting BJP: Ripun Bora
- Two Pak fishermen nabbed off Gujarat coast, sustain bullet injuries during escape bid
- Manipur: Assam Rifles recovers cache of weapons in Churachandpur
- Arunachal: 526 kg of marijuana seized, one woman arrested
- Drug addiction affects society as a whole: Meghalaya DyCM
- Will Gorkhaland Territorial polls in Darjeeling usher in a new era?