Imphal: The Election Commission of India on Monday ordered repoll in six polling stations under four assembly constituencies in Phase 2 of the Manipur Assembly election. The re-election will be held on Tuesday, March 8.
The decision for repoll in two districts of Ukhrul and Senapati was taken following reports of violence on the day of polling on Saturday, where 22 assembly constituencies voted in Phase 2 of the election across 1,247 polling stations.
The polling stations where repolls will be held on March 8 (Tuesday) are Ukhrul (E-2) in Ukhrul constituency, Kalhang and Peh (B) in Chingai constituency, Ngamju, Yang Khullen and Mao Marafii in Karong and Tadubi ACs respectively.
The repoll will start at 7 am and conclude by 4 pm.
“I am directed to refer to Commission’s Letter No.495/MR-LA/2022-NES-II dated 7th March, 2022 on the above subject and to inform that the Commission has, under sub-section (2) of Section 58 of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, declared that the poll taken on 5th March, 2022 (Saturday) at the following total 6 polling stations to be void and appointed 8th March, 2022 (Tuesday) as the date for taking repoll/fresh poll at the said polling stations with hours of poll from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM, in accordance with the Commission’s instructions contained in Chapter-XIII of the Hand Book for Returning Officers, 2019,” said the order issued by Ramananda Nongmeikapam, joint chief electoral officer, Manipur.
He further requested to take necessary actions as per above ECI directions. Wide publicity of the program of re-poll/fresh poll will be given in polling areas concerned and political parties and contesting candidate be informed in writing, he added.
- China opposes India’s reported plan to hold G20 meeting in J&K
- Recognise ‘Sarna’ religion for Adivasis, we are not Hindu: Assam, other tribals
- We call for full respect of all religions: UN spokesperson on Udaipur killing
- Shillong-based folk-fusion outfit Summersalt releases sophomore album
- National Doctors’ Day: Significance, History, Wishes and Messages
- Women’s Hockey WC: Netherlands start as firm faves, India aim for a first