Imphal: A total of 28.19 per cent of 8.38 lakh voters Saturday exercised their franchise till 11 am of voting across 22 constituencies in the second and final phase of assembly elections in Manipur.
Voting began at 7 am in 1,247 polling stations across six districts amid tight security and strict adherence to COVID-19 protocols.
No untoward incident has so far been reported from anywhere, election officials said.
Among the early voters were Congress leader and former Manipur chief minister O Ibobi Singh in Thoubal district.
“Congress will definitely win with an absolute majority, but in case we fall short by one or two seats, the party is open for a coalition,” he said after casting his vote.
The electoral fate of 92 candidates will be decided on Saturday, including 12 from the BJP, followed by Congress (18), National People’s Party (11), Janata Dal (United) and Naga People’s Front (10 each).
Polling will continue till 4 pm
- Monsoon has covered entire country: IMD
- Math of human behaviour: how to spot liars, counter disinformation
- Space wars: Dream-walking towards the planetoid bomb
- Tour de France: How many calories will the winner burn?
- Sri Lanka civil society expresses displeasure over 22nd Amendment
- The five drawbacks to following your passion