Imphal: The Manipur Police arrested two people for allegedly damaging EVM and VVPAT machines in the first phase of elections in Churachandpur and Kangpokpi districts.
According to an official, in the first incident, the district police of Churachandpur arrested a person, namely, Onjalal Kipgen of K. Phaijang, on Tuesday for damaging an EVM with a hammer. He was the polling agent for 57/49-Leinom Polling Station, an official statement said.
The offence is in contravention to Section 3 of the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, 1984, Section 171-C, Section 427 and Section 506 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, and is punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to five years and with a fine.
In another incident, the district police of Kangpokpi also arrested an accused namely, Manggoulun Haolai (19) after a complaint lodged by Returning Officer, 46-Saikul AC for damaging the VVPAT machines at around 11:40 a.m. on poll day.
Haolai was arrested from Leplen village near Leplen Primary School. An investigation is also on to arrest the other co-accused persons, it added.
- International Joke Day 2022: Jokes to make your loved ones laugh
- China opposes India’s reported plan to hold G20 meeting in J&K
- Recognise ‘Sarna’ religion for Adivasis, we are not Hindu: Assam, other tribals
- We call for full respect of all religions: UN spokesperson on Udaipur killing
- Shillong-based folk-fusion outfit Summersalt releases sophomore album
- National Doctors’ Day: Significance, History, Wishes and Messages