Imphal: A Manipur Police personnel, who was on poll duty on Monday, was killed in a “suspected case of accidental firing” from his service rifle during the first phase of assembly elections to 38 seats in the northeastern state, Chief Electoral Office (CEO) Rajesh Agarwal said.
The incident took place in Tipaimukh assembly constituency in Churachandpur district. The police personnel was identified as Naorem Ibochouba, a resident of Kakching district, he said.
Agarwal condoled the death of the police personnel, and said that his body has been airlifted to Imphal and sent to a state-run hospital for autopsy, the officer added.
Violence mars first phase of Manipur elections; 48.4% turnout till 1 pm
- Stage set for inauguration of new Parliament building by PM on Sunday
- Insurance Industry comes together for life insurance awareness in Mizoram
- How the practice of Nichiren Buddhism sustained Tina Turner for 50 years
- Nepal starts exporting electricity to India
- Naga Students’ Federation to rebuild building vandalised by miscreants
- Separate admin right solution to end violence in Manipur: Cong leader