Imphal: In a pre-poll related violence in Manipur, a Janata Dal (United) candidate was shot at late on Saturday night by unknown armed persons in Imphal East district.
As per police report, Wanglembam Rojit Singh, who is contesting from Kshetrigao assembly constituency on a JD(U) ticket, was shot by one of the two assailants who came on a two wheeler.
The incident took place around 11:30 pm when the candidate was meeting some of his party workers at Naharup Makhapat, about 3 km from his residence.
Rojit Singh received a bullet injury on his chest and was taken to a private hospital in Imphal. He is reported to be out of danger.
The reason behind the attack is yet to be known till the time of filling this report.
Meanwhile, the police have registered an FIR in this connection.
Kshetrigao assembly is among the 38 constituencies where voting will take place in the first phase of the polls in Manipur on Monday.
- China opposes India’s reported plan to hold G20 meeting in J&K
- Recognise ‘Sarna’ religion for Adivasis, we are not Hindu: Assam, other tribals
- We call for full respect of all religions: UN spokesperson on Udaipur killing
- Shillong-based folk-fusion outfit Summersalt releases sophomore album
- National Doctors’ Day: Significance, History, Wishes and Messages
- Women’s Hockey WC: Netherlands start as firm faves, India aim for a first