Imphal: Political party switching trends continue to rise in Manipur ahead of the 12th Legislative Assembly elections in the state next month. Sitting Trinamool Congress MLA Tongbram Robindro Singh of Thanga constituency and former MLA Yengkhom Surchandra Singh of Kakching constituency joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday.
A reception was held for the new members at the Thanga BJP office and attended by state BJP chief A Sharda Devi, Union MoS Pratima Bhoumik, Assam minister Ashok Singhal and other party leaders.
Welcoming the two into the party fold, state party chief Sharda Devi said, “The joining reflects the growing positive attitude towards the progress our state has made under the dynamic leadership of PM Modi and CM N Biren Singh.”
In 2017, Robindro Singh was elected on a Trinamool Congress ticket while Surchandra Singh contested with a Congress ticket.
On January 12, former MLA Surchandra Singh resigned from the primary membership of Congress.
Guwahati: Son of ‘murdered’ NFR employee allegedly assaulted by cops
- Meghalaya govt spent Rs 29 lakh on promotional videos: Minister
- Assam journalist wins Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award
- In a first, USTM to host VCs’ nat’l conference from March 23-25
- Assam CM distributes retirement benefit to Anganwadi workers
- Assam: State-run health sub-centre functions out of dilapidated house
- No chance of amending Nagaland Municipal Act: CM