Imphal: Political party switching trends continue to rise in Manipur ahead of the 12th Legislative Assembly elections in the state next month. Sitting Trinamool Congress MLA Tongbram Robindro Singh of Thanga constituency and former MLA Yengkhom Surchandra Singh of Kakching constituency joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday.
A reception was held for the new members at the Thanga BJP office and attended by state BJP chief A Sharda Devi, Union MoS Pratima Bhoumik, Assam minister Ashok Singhal and other party leaders.
Welcoming the two into the party fold, state party chief Sharda Devi said, “The joining reflects the growing positive attitude towards the progress our state has made under the dynamic leadership of PM Modi and CM N Biren Singh.”
In 2017, Robindro Singh was elected on a Trinamool Congress ticket while Surchandra Singh contested with a Congress ticket.
On January 12, former MLA Surchandra Singh resigned from the primary membership of Congress.
- 21-year-old model found dead in Kolkata flat
- In the new cold war, China is not Russia
- Imran Khan gives 6-day ultimatum to Pakistan govt to announce fresh polls
- PM Modi to inaugurate India’s biggest drone festival
- BTS: Korean brand apologises for ‘editing’ Jungkook’s tattoo in ad
- Mamata condoles death of 5 Bengal trekkers in Uttarakhand