New Delhi: In a big political development in Manipur, former Congress MLA Rajkumar Imo Singh and MLA Yamthong Haokip of the Congress have joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) at the party headquarters in New Delhi on Monday.
With this development, the BJP has expressed confidence that it will win the upcoming assembly polls in the state with victory in two-third seats.
Rajkumar Imo Singh, who comes from a notable political family in the state associated with the Congress, and Yamthong Haokip, a Congress MLA, joined the BJP in the presence of Union minister Sarbananda Sonowal and the party’s in-charge for Manipur Sambit Patra.
Singh, also a former AICC election observer, was elected from Sagolband assembly constituency both in 2012 and 2017 assembly elections on a Congress ticket. However, later, he was expelled from the party over his alleged anti-party activities.
Haokip is one of the well-known politicians, especially in the hill area of the state.
Welcoming the two leaders of Manipur, Patra said that we warmly welcome the two of the very imminent personalities who have joined the BJP.
In 2017, Manipur was known for law and order problems, regular blockades and the divide between its hill and valley regions, but this is no longer so, Singh said.
His father Rajkumar Jaichandra Singh was Manipur’s chief minister and the first Union minister from the state.
Sonowal welcomed the two leaders into the saffron fold and asserted that the northeast regions have established their identity under the Modi government, which has ensured that Union ministers and bureaucrats regularly visit the area to address issues.
- Lankan Parliament defeats no-trust motion against President Rajapaksa
- Manipur: Govt promotes alternative livelihood to poppy in Ukhrul
- FIR against 3 BJP workers for attack on NCP woman member
- President Kovind inaugurates street named after Ambedkar in Jamaica
- US hopes India would ‘reconsider’ its decision to restrict wheat exports
- Same-sex marriage: Centre opposes plea for live streaming of proceedings