Imphal: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former Rajya Sabha MP La Ganesan took oath as the 17th governor of Manipur on Friday.
The oath of office was administered by the Chief Justice of Manipur High Court, PV Sanjay Kumar, at a simple function in Raj Bhavan, Imphal.
Chief minister N Biren Singh, deputy CM Y Joykumar, cabinet ministers and senior officials, including chief secretary Rajesh Kumar, were presented on the occasion.
La Ganesan was appointed as Governor of Manipur by President of India on Sunday, after Najma Heptulla, who assumed office on August 21, 2016, retired earlier this month.
A communique from Rashtrapati Bhavan had earlier said that Ganesan will be the new “Governor of Manipur with effect from the date he assumes charge of his office”.
Heptulla had demitted office on August 10 and on the same day the charge was given to Sikkim Governor Ganga Prasad.
Born on February 16, 1945 in temple town Tanjore, is a former RSS pracharak. He was nominated as a Rajya Sabha MP from Bhopal constituency and served for a brief period of 18 months.
He is a member of the national executive committee of BJP since 1991.
- Rs 50,000 ex-gratia to kin of those who lost lives to COVID: Centre to SC
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion
- Researchers have figured why COVID cases continue to rise in Mizoram
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry