Imphal: The Manipur High Court on Friday directed to interim release The Frontier Manipur (TFM) journalist Kishorechandra Wangkhem who was detained under the National Security Act (NAS) for a Facebook post on the death of a BJP leader.
According to LiveLaw, a bench of Chief Justice P V Sanjay Kumar and Justice Kh Nobin Singh has ordered the release of activist-journalist Kishorchandra by 5 PM today while hearing a petition filed by Kishorechandra’s wife.
Counsel of the journalist, Advocate Chongtham Victor said the release order has been passed and the issue of compensation for unlawful detention will likely be discussed on August 24.
In his Facebook post which lead to the arrest, Wangkhem wrote: “Santhi Sanyung na yadrabo, oh!!! RIP #Rashikang_Kangyet Hayeng nga chaani.” (Rough translation: Cow dung cow urine didn’t work. Groundless argument. Tomorrow I will eat fish.)
- Kolkata International Book Fair from Jan 30
- Paleo diet: new evidence changes what we thought about how ancient humans prepared food
- India’s G-20 Presidency will be consultative, collaborative: Jaishankar
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Schedule, fixtures, predictions today, Dec 2
- Pakistan to review strategy after TTP militants calls off truce
- Powerful linear accelerator begins smashing atoms. It could reveal rare forms of matter