Imphal: The Manipur High Court on Friday directed to interim release The Frontier Manipur (TFM) journalist Kishorechandra Wangkhem who was detained under the National Security Act (NAS) for a Facebook post on the death of a BJP leader.
According to LiveLaw, a bench of Chief Justice P V Sanjay Kumar and Justice Kh Nobin Singh has ordered the release of activist-journalist Kishorchandra by 5 PM today while hearing a petition filed by Kishorechandra’s wife.
Counsel of the journalist, Advocate Chongtham Victor said the release order has been passed and the issue of compensation for unlawful detention will likely be discussed on August 24.
In his Facebook post which lead to the arrest, Wangkhem wrote: “Santhi Sanyung na yadrabo, oh!!! RIP #Rashikang_Kangyet Hayeng nga chaani.” (Rough translation: Cow dung cow urine didn’t work. Groundless argument. Tomorrow I will eat fish.)
- Nagaland teams up with NGO to tackle child malnutrition, mortality
- Paediatric Covaxin: Bharat Biotech completes phase 2/3 trials
- Students who lost parents to COVID won’t be charged exam fee
- Assam government orders inquiry into Bodoland encounter
- Gandhi, Godse, and ‘Freedom at Midnight’
- These must-have foods help you have a happy and healthy heart