As per reports, Imphal West police arrested the three persons for allegedly sharing a video and remaking it, and later uploading it on Facebook.
The arrested persons have been identified as Thaodem Romesh, 34, and Thaodem Bikram, 43, both from Sekmai Laipat, and Sougrakpam Johnson Singh, 34, of Naoremthong Khumanthem Leikai, the reports said.
Thaodem Romesh reportedly uploaded a remade video on Facebook on Saturday evening. The video falsely claimed that during a mass COVID-19 testing at Takyel Khongbal, out of 700 persons tested, 500 were found to be positive for COVID-19.
During the investigation, the police learnt that Thaodem Romesh received the alleged video from one WhatsApp group called PYDO (Progressive Youth Development Organisation), which was uploaded by Thaodem Bikram. Later, it was learned the video was prepared by Sougrakpam Johnson Singh by giving false data.
They were arrested in connection with a case registered at Lamphel Police station based on a complaint lodged by the Imphal West district magistrate, reports said.
Earlier in June, a 41-year-old man was arrested by Manipur police for allegedly spreading false information on social about vaccination and wearing of face masks amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nagaland Assembly concerned over school ‘occupied’ by Assam Police 14 yrs ago
- Allegations of snooping serious, if correct: SC on Pegasus row
- Mirabai Chanu rewards truckers who gave her free lifts during training days
- I want a suitable govt job: Hockey player Nilakanta Sharma to Manipur CM
- Wrestler Ravi Dahiya settles for silver after losing final to world champion Uguev
- Police in Bangladesh recovers Lord Vishnu’s black stone statue