Imphal: Three persons were reportedly arrested by the police in Manipur on Sunday for spreading false and alarming information on COVID-19 and creating panic among residents.
As per reports, Imphal West police arrested the three persons for allegedly sharing a video and remaking it, and later uploading it on Facebook.
The arrested persons have been identified as Thaodem Romesh, 34, and Thaodem Bikram, 43, both from Sekmai Laipat, and Sougrakpam Johnson Singh, 34, of Naoremthong Khumanthem Leikai, the reports said.
Thaodem Romesh reportedly uploaded a remade video on Facebook on Saturday evening. The video falsely claimed that during a mass COVID-19 testing at Takyel Khongbal, out of 700 persons tested, 500 were found to be positive for COVID-19.
Also read | COVID-19: 205 more Delta variant cases reported in Manipur
During the investigation, the police learnt that Thaodem Romesh received the alleged video from one WhatsApp group called PYDO (Progressive Youth Development Organisation), which was uploaded by Thaodem Bikram. Later, it was learned the video was prepared by Sougrakpam Johnson Singh by giving false data.
They were arrested in connection with a case registered at Lamphel Police station based on a complaint lodged by the Imphal West district magistrate, reports said.
Earlier in June, a 41-year-old man was arrested by Manipur police for allegedly spreading false information on social about vaccination and wearing of face masks amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bengal panchayat polls to be held on July 8
- 2 Bangladesh border guards trespass into Meghalaya, threaten locals
- Manipur situation ‘peaceful’, centre okays Rs 101-cr package for displaced people
- One crore saplings to be planted on Gandhi Jayanti: Assam CM
- Arunachal Christian Forum expresses concern over Manipur violence
- Manipur ‘to seize all unlawful arms, weapons’ in hills and valley areas