Imphal: Manipuri judoka Shushila Devi Likmabam has qualified for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in the 48 kg category of judo. The announcement was made by the International Judo Federation (IJF).
According to reports, she is the only Indian judo player to have qualified for the Tokyo Games.
Shushila, 24, is the fifth athlete from Manipur to have qualified for the mega sporting event slated to begin from July 23 to August 8 this year.
Other players from the state who have made it to the Indian contingent are boxer MC Mary Kom, weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, women’s hockey player Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam and men’s hockey player Shanglakpam Nilakanta Sharma.
She was also among two Indian judokas fielded by the Judo Federation of India (JFI) to the World Judo Championship held from June 6 to 13 at Budapest in Hungary.
Earlier, Shushila won a silver medal in women’s 48 kg weight class in judo at the Commonwealth Games of 2014 in Glasgow.
- Meet the jury members of Northeast Launchpad?
- NGT directs Meghalaya govt to file affidavit on action taken against illegal miners
- Meghalaya to follow same strategy to deal with COVID-19: New health minister
- Wrestler Deepak loses semifinal, to fight for bronze now
- Meghalaya Lottery August 4: Check Future Flush Noon lottery result
- Nagaland Lottery August 4: Check Dear Mercury Wednesday lottery result