Imphal: The Churachandpur Battalion of Assam Rifles arrested four timber smugglers on National Highway 2 near Hengkot village in Manipur‘s Churachandpur district on Wednesday.
Based on inputs regarding timber being smuggled from Henglep to Churachandpur, troops of Assam Rifles in a swift and bold action intercepted the smugglers and recovered around 11 cubic meters of timber (A1 and A2 class) worth Rs 3.77 lakh, said an official.
The four arrested smugglers along with the recovered timber have been handed over to the forest department of Churachandpur Range for further investigation, the official added.
Last month, troops of Assam Rifles under the aegis of IGAR (south) had seized smuggled timber worth Rs 1.58 crore near Heirok village in Thoubal district.
Based on reliable inputs about the smuggling of timber, troops of Assam Rifles carried out the operation and intercepted two vehicles loaded with timber, said the official.
On thorough checking of the vehicles, the team recovered smuggled timber assessed to be worth over a crore, he said. The seized items along with arrested individuals have been handed over to the Forest Range Office in Thoubal for further legal action, he added.
- Egypt’s president likely to be chief guest for Republic Day celebrations
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever reclaims myth of an African utopia
- Voices still missing from online activism
- Sharp butt pains & more: 5 lesser-known menstrual cycle symptoms
- Outdated Covid travel advisories, conflicting norms causing inconvenience to people
- Making efforts to protect rights of baby in foster care in Germany: MEA