Imphal: The chief judicial magistrate of Imphal East in Manipur on Tuesday allowed the formal arrest of ‘conman’ Kangujam Karnajit Singh in connection with a case accusing him of concealing oxygen concentrators and oxygen cylinders meant for distribution among COVID-19 patients in the state.
As per reports, Kanarjit, who is a self-proclaimed youth leader, was produced before the court after the completion of his police remand along with a prayer for judicial custody.
On perusal of the case record and after hearing both the parties, the court remanded Kanarjit to judicial custody till June 29.
The court further allowed the investigation officer (IO) of Porompat police station for formally arresting Kanarjit in connection with the case, reports said.
As per reports, the IO of the case submitted before the court that the oxygen cylinders and oxygen concentrators were kept at the residence of Oliver Moirangthem at Khurai Lamlong bazaar at the behest of Kanarjit.
Earlier, when the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic hit Manipur and other parts of the country, his nine-year-old climate activist daughter Licypriya Kangujam was lauded for her noble crowdfunding initiative to procure oxygen and donating it to various states.
However, following the arrest of her father in Delhi last month, Licypriya’s appeal for crowdfunding came into scrutiny and speculation began whether the funds were diligently utilised for COVID-19 relief.
- Meghalaya to be fully connected by optical fibre network, says CM
- NFR assures completion of Dhansiri-Zubza rail line by 2024
- NE is future of sports in India: Arunachal CM Pema Khandu
- 146 participants from 20 countries join Asian Ranger Forum in Guwahati
- After pineapple, Tripura eyes GI tags for shidol, orange, scented lemon
- In a first, Kyrgyzstan wrestler wins Hornbill Naga wrestling C’ship